5.24.2010

GLAM OR SHAM?: Tyra's Returns to Modeling with a Tribute to Alexander McQueen



When the news hit my inbox, I had to do a double take. Tyra Banks, who famously retired from the runway and crowned herself Coach of the "Smize," was resurrecting her own modeling career. The press release further revealed that Queen Tyra, who recently announced plans to launch a book series, re-signed with IMG. Hmm...


Here's what Tyra had to say about signing with IMG: "In many ways, this is like coming home. The last time I was with IMG, I was set on taking on the modeling world in the high fashion and commercial sectors,“ said Tyra Banks, Founder and CEO of Bankable Enterprises. “Now I’m dreaming even bigger but this time for my company as well. Aligning myself with brands that I believe in, and helping them achieve the kind of success they’re looking for, helps all of us as we grow our businesses. And I know IMG is the right place at the perfect time. ”


My first thought was 'Who returns to modeling as a middle-aged mogul with a reality TV series, talk show, internet magazine and book company under their belt?' But we all know, Tyra jumps at the chance to be a trailblazer. Though I wish her the most success, I wonder how she'll be embraced in the editorial world/runway at this point in her career. She has the credentials, experience and skill (look at her smize!) without a doubt, but modeling is still considered a young woman's job. What are your thoughts?


Recently, she recruited Andre Leon Talley for a tribute shoot to Alexander McQueen in the May issue of her online magazine. The shoot evokes an aura of fashion royalty with Tyra and Andre posing in Alexander McQueen's regal collection. 












From the facial expressions in these photographs, she's still got it. But you be the judge. Should Tyra have resurrected her modeling career? What do you think of these photos, Glam or a Sham?


Kisses,


Coutura


Photos: www.tyrabanks.com.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails