5.24.2010

Boyfriend Beauty: Marc Jacob's New Men's Scent, Bang




I wasn't really surprised to see Marc Jacobs oiled up and nude in advertisements for his new men's fragrance, Bang, but my jaw did drop when I saw the packaging for the cologne. A silver, crushed-in looking bottle of amazingness....love! In fact, I may just purchase for myself just because of the package; and knowing Jacobs, I'm sure it smells amazing. (I live for his last fragrance for women, Lola.)


The fragrance will hit Bloomingdale's and Marc Jacobs stores July 30. You'll see Jacobs in all his greasy, muscled glory in ads that will be place in men's lifestyle and fashion publications in September.But, just to give you the inside scoop on everything, Jacobs decided to pose nude in advertisements for the first time to make the point that the new fragrance is "a personal passion," according to Women's Wear Daily. The original idea came from his business partner, Robert Duffy.

"Robert and I work closely with Coty on these projects, and he said, 'Marc, you look so great now - you should be the model for men's fragrance.' My immediate reaction was, I don't know," he told WWD. "But then I came to see that it made sense. Men's fragrance, unlike women's in a certain way, is very personal. It's a layer on top of skin - for women, it can be like a changing a makeup color, but not for men."

Sighting that the fragrance ad "isn't about some chiseled face on a beach," Jacobs said that it's for a contemporary guy "who, even if he isn't young, has a younger spirit."

Why the name Bang?
"The name came to me first," he said. "We had been approached by Coty to do another men's scent - we did one many years ago - and I was in the gym, and the name Bang came to me. As a word, it has so many connotations, including a sexual connotation. And I loved the immediacy and the sound of the word. For me, fragrance is always a multilayered process - Bang was the catalyst for how this fragrance came to be. You're drawn to try it, to experience it."

Just to give you an idea of how it will smell fellas, WWD reports that it has top notes of black, pink and white peppercorns; a heart of primal masculine woods, and a drydown of hypnotic elemi resinoid, aromatic benzoin, vetiver, white moss and patchouli. Prices are $55 for 1.7 oz and $75 for 3.4 oz. There will also be an aftershave balm ($40); hair and body wash ($25), and a deodorant stick ($22).

Side note: My friend David Lopez and I once had an impromptu photo shoot and created a men's fragrance ad for Marc Jacobs. Isn't it hot?! lol


What do you think, guys? Does this sound like a fragrance you'll be purchasing? Ladies, will you be buying this for your men?

xo
Ferocia
*images from wwd.com


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails