2.14.2009

Front Row Fashion: Rachel Roy & Monique Lhuillier

Okay in a matter of two days, I've met and interviewed Joi Bryant, Fonsworth Bentley (and his new gf) and Ryan Leslie, saw Cicely Tyson and Grace Jones work the catwalk and caught BCBG and Charlotte Ronson with Solange and Lindsey Lohan, respectively...whew. And that's just the celeb sightings. Now for the most important part, the fashions. More glamorous than ever.


Let's start at the beginning. Day 1, as always, belongs to Rachel Roy. In the most uncertain of times (some background info for the fashion beginner: Rachel was recently bought out by Liz Claiborne after battling rumors of economic strife. Soundbite from popular stylist: "Nobody's buying her clothes anymore!"), Rachel Roy still managed to deliver one of her best collections yet.



Photobucket

The mother and wife of hip hop mogul, Damon Dash, she led the pack with her elegant and refined design aesthetic, inspired by everything from the fab flapper era to modern space-age chic.

Photobucket


Guests, including Andre Leon Talley, Veronica Webb and her husband, Dame, sipped Veuve Clicquot and marveled at the beautiful models in sharp bobs (styled by Frederic Fekkai) and black lips (by make-up goddess Bobbi Brown). If it wasn't for the fact that the models turned around ever so often, I would've sworn they were mannequins.


Photobucket


And oh, the Subversive jewelry, Nancy Gonzalez handbags and shoes by Rachel Roy for Manolo Blahnik were breathtaking. Seriously, I need them to survive. If Rachel's any indication, fashion hasn't lost an ounce of it's glamour.


Photobucket

Photobucket

P.S. This coat and I would be so happy together. P.P.S. I'd cheat with that cut-out dress though...it's as sexy as it is sophisticated...



Next, I checked out Monique Lhuillier. The Plaza Hotel was the perfect backdrop for her fairytale-inspired collection. I felt like I stepped into a Cinderella movie, sans the hard labor (if you don't count the sleepless nights at the office) and the evil stepsisters (maybe that could be the PR girls, but even they were nice to me...most likely because I walked in with my boss and the creative director of another popular mag).

Photobucket

Photobucket


Monique's designs were fit for a princess: layered tulle and chiffon ballet dresses, cascading ruffles, one-shoulder organza gowns, lacy necklines and sheer overlay reigned supreme. And please, don't forget the pearls.


Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket



Sidenote: not a single black model was present. I'm hoping for even a slight change given the success of the all-black Vogue Italia issue (though black models on a consisent basis would also be great...major fashion mags) and umm...given Obama. Will be keeping you posted on this throughout the week.

And now for the trends. So far: flapper, menswear, lingerie, space age, cut-outs, grecian (assymetric necklines are everywhere!), sheer and 1950's-inspired looks. Oh and how could I forget black?

I'm wearing the sleek, perenially fab color everyday with my leopard print Nine West pumps (see below).

Photobucket

(Adorable floral shoe modeled here by Ms. Cocoa Chic...check out her site for any and everything beauty.)


And before you wonder how I'm navigating through the city streets without my toes falling off by the end of the night, it's all due to these Dr. Scholl's inserts I recently bought. Seriously, if it wasn't for them, I wouldn't last thirty minutes in those shoes. I recommend them to every girl who starts wobbling and sobbing by the end of the work day/club night/weekend date...they'll change your life.

Now, if only I could find time to eat between shows (Attention: Mercedes Benz Fashion Week organizers, some people in fashion do eat lunch! Can we schedule these shows with lunch time in mind next time?). Note to self: pack lots of snacks.



Stay tuned for Day Two!



Kisses,



Coutura

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

enjoyed Monique and Rachel! those manolos were awesome and monique's use of 19th century fashion influence . . . thanks for sharing!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails